Movement and Exercise
Movement and exercise are vital to health by providing many functions, from traditional benefits such as reducing stress to increasing longevity. We need movement for our cells to function normally, in the same way that we need food, water, the sun, and oxygen.
Studies show that movement and exercise facilitate reprogramming of the cells at the genetic level. Additionally, exercise profoundly decreases fatigue, depression, and anxiety, while it improves mood, and increases alertness and energy levels. We also know that active exercise increases levels of BDNF (brain-derived neurotropic factor), which improves cognition, memory, and processing speed.
Our bodies need different types of movement that support optimal health for our bones, muscles, immune system, brain, mental health, cardiovascular system, and the movement of energy for our spiritual evolution. Below are some key areas and ideas for different kinds of movement. (This only scratches the surface of all types of exercise!)
- Examples: walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, elliptical, jumping
- Cardio is important for moving our lymphatic fluid, which clears toxins and strengthens our immunity. Jumping on a trampoline is an excellent way to move our lymphatic system.
- Light cardio, where our breath is elevated to the point that we can still have a conversation, is the best for brain health.
Flexibility & flow of energy
- Tai Chi & Chi Gong
Here are some free guided practices from some of our favorite movement instructors:
- Essentrics with Miranda Esmonde-White
- Live Vinyasa flow yoga classes on InsightTimer with Selena Lael
- Longevity Movement Practice with Lalita Shree Maa (an ideal practice to prepare the body for a meditation practice)
- Tai Chi for Illumination practice with Jayendra Das
Strength & bone health
Also keep in mind:
- When possible, exercise outdoors to benefit from the sun, nature, and fresh air.
- Movement that involves coordination has been shown to serve as one of the best ways to prevent dementia and improve mental health… dance, sports, play 🙂
- Enjoy the feeling in your body as you move!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Please consult your doctor before starting any health, exercise or nutritional supplement program and/or before using our products and services during pregnancy, and/or if you have a serious medical condition.